First Trial on Cartoon Characters!

Nad gave me a chance to design a header for her blog. She knew exactly what she wanted. She was thinking of having a cartoon of a mom wearing tudung, carrying a baby and a dad holding a baby boy. I told her to give me some time cause I never illustrated any cartoon character. All this while I've always been having silhouette characters, yes see my own header, which is way much easy to draw rather than cartoon which has more elements such as colours, shadows, proportions, scale and everything. So here how it is. At least she likes it :p Visit her blog, she's a nice person, really. And I'm saying this not because she likes what I've done :D



This is how I started actually. I found this on the net. I wish I knew whose cartoon this is so that I could give her/him a credit. (If you happen to be the owner, please inform me. Just don't sue me ).


The most difficult part is the face, since I'm an amateur, I had to take her facial shape for me to begin with. Oh yes, I took the baby too. Then I scaled her body until it looks more proportionate with the head. I omitted the hair, put the scarf on, dressed her a skirt and put a bit shadow here and there. I don't think Nad's baby will always be a newborn. Since I think that hood on baby is mostly related to newborn, so I took off the baby's hood and it helped make the baby look less a baby.

So this is how she looks now!



Then I moved on with the dad and the boy. Instead of holding the little boy, I made the dad carried the son on his shoulders. More impressive, I suppose. Once I did the first character, which is the mom, the next two were quite easier. In music, it was like having the right rhythm. LOL. Hope next time I'll get the right rhythm though.



So the little boy on his dad's shoulders said, "thank you" :)

12 comments:

Squarecut Ring said...

This is cute! I love it. ^_^ hehe. I can never improvise a cartoon like u did. a very good job dear. ^_^

amirah said...

lovely..!like it

dona::rose said...

Liyana: Thank you. urm,, you can always try!

Amirah: Thank you!

Confession of a Coffeeholic Momma said...

cute!!

♥S@R@♥ said...

Assalamualaikum

wow very cute..;)

dona::rose said...

mama miya&miyul: thnx!

Sara: TQ!

=)

nad said...

tq soooo muchh!!!!!! thats a lot of effort!! i can never do cartoons..but maybe one day u can open up a class just for drawing cartoon characters? I'll be the first to join..heheheheh :D

beaty said...

cute la tapi saya x pandai buat ni

mamashikin said...

hi rose..slmt berkenalan..sgt suka tau blog awk..sy masukkan dlm list sy..thanks sb sudi singgah blog sy..

dona::rose said...

Nad, I hope it's true, I dont think I'm on that level to open a class.Lol. But you made me feel inspired. I won't stop trying to learn then :D

Beaty, Thank you. saya cuba2 ja.

Mama Shikin: Wah terima kasih mama shikin :)

Thank you ladies for the compliments!

Mama Tatara said...

Your cartoon characters look so adorable.

Rose said...

aww thank you :)